Saturday, November 22, 2008

Bucks County Designer Show House

A very exciting opportunity has presented itself to me. I'm going to be able to design a bedroom for the May 2009 Bucks County Designer Show House. I've toured the past designer homes and have always coveted a room of my own to decorate. On a whim, I contacted the chairwoman of the designer house. As a very fortunate and unexpected turn-of-events, I was asked to design a room for this upcoming year.

I visited the home yesterday. It's a grand old Victorian with over-sized rooms and wonderfully high ceilings. It has a lot of character and charm, but there is a lot of work to be done. The room I chose is an upstairs bedroom (12 ft by 17 ft) with 2 built-in closets that flank a low window seat. On the far wall is a large window that reaches down the irregular, wide-plank floor boards. The room has infinite potential, and I'm so excited to have this opportunity to remake it.

I'll be blogging about the entire process. First, I have to create a storyboard and solidify my design plan, then we'll be measuring the room in January and collecting all the necessary materials for finishing and decorating the space. The design installation begins in March and continues through April and the house opens in May. It's certainly going to a fabulous opportunity to showcase my work, network with fellow designers and artisans, and learn a lot about renovating an old home! These before pictures of the room will give you a sense of the scope of the project.

From this experience, I am reminded again that we are the primary creators of our destiny. If I had not contacted the chairwoman myself, I would have never had this chance to share my design work with 8,000 tour-goers! The opportunity was there, but I had to take the first step.


For more information about Cailen Ascher Design, visit www.CailenAscher.bravehost.com or email CailenAscher@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

hello there. thank you for your comments - i love reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails