Thursday, May 19, 2011

avocado sandwich


i just love avocado.  it's so creamy and delicious.  and adds an indescribable richness when you cook with it.  plus, it's chock-full of MUFAs (i.e. healthy fats).  bonus!

last night for a light dinner, i made avocado sandwiches.  i had just bought some awesome fresh baked multigrain bread and was inspired to make use of some of my other recent farmers' market finds.

avo. sandwiches  (makes 2 open face servings)

2 large slices of multigrain bread
1/2 shallot, thinly sliced
1/2 tbsp olive oil
3 large leaves of romaine lettuce
1/2 avocado
10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
herbs (i used basil & rosemary from my garden : )
salt & pepper
(ham or turkey, optional)

1. saute shallots in olive oil.  set aside.


2. quickly saute lettuce in same pan.


3. thinly slice avocado & arrange avocado on toasted bread.


4. top with lettuce, shallots, tomatoes, herbs, salt & pepper





so simple.  so yummy.  i put some freshly sliced ham on craig's, but opted for just veggies for mine.  both versions got two thumbs up.


check out more awesome, healthy recipes over at 33 shades of green.

14 comments:

  1. this looks so good! i love avocados. and tomatoes. and shallots. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum this looks delicious! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfect for a quick and easy weeknight healthy meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks amazing! I made something similar the other day and just MUST try this one now! avocado is my FAVE!!
    xo:: Lauren @ tickled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Avocado is one my favourite sandwich items too! You are so right - it's really creamy but still healthy :)

    Ps. In reply to your question on my blog, I try everything I make in order to decide whether it's worthy of sharing on my blog...but I don't necessarily sit down and eat a big portion of what I've made. Most of the things I make are for my family or friends. A lot of the time, my friends come over and eat it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I have never sauteed lettuce before in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got around to checking out your blog! I always check out the people's blogs who leave me comments. Anyway, I love it! New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am obsessed with avocados so I saw this post and got SUPER excited!

    The sandwich looks amazing!!!! So looking forward to trying this out sometime :) Thanks for passing it along!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love avocados and am always looking for new ways to eat them - this looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm...can't go wrong with avocado! :)

    Just found your blog- very cute. I love no-knead bread too!

    ReplyDelete

hello there. thank you for your comments - i love reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails