Wednesday, September 7, 2011

foodie wednesday: spanakopita (a.k.a. spinach pie)

a few weeks ago, i had a girls' dinner with my old boss and former co-worker.  my boss, barb, made a delicious spanakopita (spinach pie) for dinner filled with veggies, yummy feta cheese and wrapped up in a buttery, flaky phyllo crust.


this past monday was "2 months until i do" so i wanted to make something a little different and a little special for our dinner.  knowing craig would love it, i asked barb for her spanakopita recipe.  i made it, and it was delicious!  so, obviously, my next thought was to share the recipe with all of you : )

here's what you'll need:

1/2 package (approx. 20 sheets) of phyllo dough
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
16 oz bag of frozen spinach
3 eggs
1 cup cottage cheese
6 oz feta, crumbled
2 tbsp butter, melted
olive oil
salt & pepper
8 to 9 in pie plate

1. preheat your oven to 375 degrees while you prep the filling.

2. saute onions & mushrooms in a drizzle of olive oil.  cook until lightly browned and softened.


3. while veggies cook, defrost spinach in microwave and drain/press out excess water.

4. mix veggies, spinach, feta and cottage cheese together.  in a separate bowl, lightly scramble the eggs and then add them to the filling.  mix well and season with salt & pepper.


5. take a teaspoon of the melted butter and coat pie plate with it.  then layer in 2-3 sheets of phyllo, drizzle with butter (or brush with butter) and then layer on another 2-3 sheets.  continue until you have 10-12 sheets on the bottom.  tip: since the sheets are square, every time you're done with a layer, give the pie plate a 1/4 turn so that it creates an even crust.


6. spoon filling over the phyllo crust and then cover with 2-3 sheets, drizzle/brush with butter, and continue until you use the remainder of the butter and phyllo.  (again, turn the plate as you proceed to create an even covering.)


7. pierce top to allow steam to escape and then bake for approximately 45 min or until top is golden brown and crispy.


8. allow to cool for at least 10 min before serving.


we enjoyed ours with a simple side salad.  and there were plenty of leftovers - enough for dinner again the next night...and a bit left for lunch after that!



enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. Mmm. My mouth is watering! This turned out really beautiful and I bet it tastes delish! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spanakopita is easily my favorite food of all time :) Yours looks so great, I've always found it too difficult to make myself so good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg YES and YES! although id have to sub the shrooms for something else. xoxo jillian:: enter to win Upper Metal Class Jewelry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't love spinach, but that picture of it cooling made even me think I might want to try it! Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a very picky eater and probably wouldn't touch it, but it sure looks cool!

    Congratulations on your SITS day. I hope it's a fun one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen anything like that before! Oh my mouth is watering! Off to the store I go! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stopped by from SITS. I have to say that that looks absolutely fabulous. Too bad I have no talent in the kitchen and regularly ruin simple things like chocolate chip cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, yum! I have never made this before, but I grew up eating it... I have to try this.

    Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that looks like my idea of heaven on a plate!! Yummy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yippee - I bought frozen gluten-free filo crust and now I know just what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete

hello there. thank you for your comments - i love reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails